Acupuncture has turned a growing number of cigarette cravers into permanent ex-smokers and is a great adjunctive therapy for all types of addiction recovery. In fact, researchers say that acupuncture is a promising treatment for all types of addiction from cigarettes to heroin.
In one study, a team from Yale University successfully used auricular (ear) acupuncture to treat cocaine addiction. Results showed that 54.8 percent of participants tested cocaine-free during the final week of treatment, compared to 23.5 percent and 9.1 percent in the two control groups. Those who completed acupuncture treatment also had longer periods of sustained abstinence compared to participants in the control groups.
Acupuncture treatments for addiction recovery focus on jitters, cravings, irritability, and restlessness; symptoms that people commonly complain about when they quit. It also aids in relaxation and detoxification.
Seven Addiction Recovery Tips
- Exercise more. Exercise can reduce your stress and help you relax.
- Get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetable juices to neutralize and clear the blood and to fortify blood sugar.
- Eat carrots, celery, leafy green salads and citrus fruits. They promote body alkalinity and decrease cravings.
- Avoid junk food, sugar and coffee. They can upset blood sugar levels and increase blood acidity which can aggravate withdrawal symptoms.
- Lobelia tea or green tea can be sipped daily during the detox period to keep tissues flooded with elements that discourage cravings. Lobelia is traditionally used to rid the body of a strong toxin such as a snake bite.
- Drink water. Research shows that dryness causes cravings. Sip water frequently throughout the day.
- Practice deep breathing exercises to increase body oxygen and keep calm.
Read more about how acupuncture can help overcome addiction!
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, find an acupuncturist near you today!