A neuroma is a swelling or scarring of a small nerve between your toes. When your body mechanics are not aligned, the space between your metatarsals decreases and the ligament becomes tight. The nerve becomes pinched between the bones or is constantly pulled over the ligament. This irritates the nerve and causes the nerve to thicken and scar.
Causes of foot problems
As with Morton's Neuroma, the most common reason for people to have foot problems is a condition is misalignment which causes the foot to not strike and/or leave the ground as it is supposed to. Other common factors that lead to foot pain are:
Acupuncture and Chinese medicine are able to treat Morton's Neuroma, bone spurs, bunions and other common foot problems and foot pain with great success.
- Footwear - High heels or shoes that are too tight can increase pressure and stress, while shoes that are too loose can let the foot slide and rub, creating friction.
- Overuse and exercise-related problems can also cause foot pain.
- The first step is to get fitted for orthotics or inserts. This helps control the abnormal mechanical structure of your foot and allows the metatarsal bones to splay or spread out naturally.
- Secondly, acupuncture and herbs are used to decrease the inflammation, break up any scar tissue and stop the pain.
- I combine acupuncture, a Chinese herbal supplement and warm foot soaks with a Chinese herbal tea.
As with all conditions, your acupuncturist will have to look at the onset of your condition and what your constitutional diagnosis is to determine if Oriental Medicine can help you. Each case is unique and it would be difficult to determine how effective acupuncture will be for you without a full assessment. Please contact a licensed acupuncturist in your area for a consultation.