Did you know that Miso Soup with Scallions is actually an ancient Chinese herbal remedy for colds?
In 300 AD famous herbalist, Ge Hong, writes about Miso Soup with Scallions in a book called, Bei ji zhou hou fang or Emergency Formulas to Keep Up Oneâs Sleeve.
The soup is indicated for the onset of a cold when a person is just beginning to feel a headache, stuffy nose and a slight fever.
So, the next time you feel a cold coming on, be sure to have your miso!
- 6 cups water
- 3-4 Tablespoons Aka Miso or red soy bean paste (usually sold in the refrigerated section)
- 3-5 green onions stalks, chopped
- Dissolve the miso in a little bit of boiling water (about 2 tsp.)
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and add the miso & scallions.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat top with green onions and serve.
WINTER AND CHINESE MEDICINE - TIPS TO STAYING HEALTHY THIS WINTER